On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Mike Glaser wrote:

> I installed the SCSI card into a Mandrake 7.0 system I am going to use
for
> testing purposes. Kudzu found the new hardware and correctly
identified it
> and configured it. I then rebooted with the internal drive connected
to the
> SCSI card and the system booted normally without any mention of new
> hardware. I am not sure if it should have 'discovered' the drive or
not.

Well, I get the following from dmesg on my system.  If the hardware
isn't detected at bootup, I imagine you may be in for a rough ride.
You've included all the SCSI stuff you need in your kernel, right?

(scsi0:0:6:0) Synchronous at 5.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: DEC       Model: DLT2000           Rev: 830A
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> Question: How do I communicate with this tape drive? It is the only
SCSI
> device in the system and I have no experience with SCSI devices.

Try something like 'mt -f /dev/nst0 offline' and see if the tape drive
unloads the tape.
Other than the mt command, I've not communicated directly .. I've let
Amanda do all that.

> I need to figure out how to mount it somehow so I can use dd, cpio,
tar, etc. to
> write to it. Would Amanda be a good tool to use?
>
> If anyone could point me to some how-tos or web sites that could help
I would
> appreciate it. I may pick up the O'Reilly book 'Unix Backup and
Recovery' in
> the next day or two - I think that it could be valuable considering my
level of
> expertise at the moment.

Yes, get O'Reilly.  It has a whole chapter devoted to Amanda.

--
John Hawley // Network Admin
Billy Graham Evang. Assoc.
jhawley at bgea.org