You're correct for the most part. The MPAA(Motion Picture Association of America) has nothing to do with the Record companies. That's the RIAA. Basically the MPAA was formed by the large studios as a "self-regulating" body. The MPAA is the organization responsible for the ratings system. Its the successor to the Hayes Office that was the original Hollywood "Standards" office. (As in standards of conduct and content.) The MPAA is also NOT the organization that hands out the Oscars. That's the AMPAS(Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences). With respect to the DVD fiasco, the MPAA was chosen to represent the large studios and distributors with respect to the DVD encryption stuff. In the consortium that includes the studios/distributors and the hardware manufacturers the MPAA speaks for the movie side of the table. The RIAA(Record Industry Association of America) provides similar industry representation for the Record companies.

Hope this helps.
Jack

On Tue, 29 August 2000, "Troy A. Johnson" wrote:

> I was asked the question "what is MPAA?" and I responded with this:
>
> > MPAA = Motion Picture Association of America
> >
> > They represent major studios and recording companies to make sure they
> > can maintain a lock on the profits from the entertainment industry. They
> > lobby congress and sue people for a living.
>
> Is this very far from the truth? Is there a better definition to
> provide? Let me know and thanks,
>
> Troy
>
> --
> Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536 at tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
> I planted some bird seed.  A bird came up.  Now I don't know
> what to feed it.
>                         -- Stephen Wright

Jack Ungerleider - The Ungerleider Group
Creative Solutions for Cooperative Computing
jack at jacku.com
www.jacku.com