On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:37:00PM -0500, Troy Schmidt (troyschmidt at mn.mediaone.net) wrote:
> Great information as a newbie studing Linux I did not understand why I could
> not telnet in as root either, I tried Chad's suggestion and got right in.

I haven't been reading the entire thread, so sorry if I'm reitterating what
someone else has said...

You should never telnet as root.  Telnet uses clear-text password.  Use ssh
instead of telnet.  I don't even ssh as root.  I ssh as regular user and then
su to root if necessary.

Amy Tanner                                      Voice: 612.943.8700
Real Time Enterprises, Inc.	                  Fax: 612.943.8500
amy at real-time.com		    	   http://www.real-time.com
PGP fingerprint =  67 6C 8F DB B1 7A 8D 41  DC 7B CA 0B 28 1E 67 AD