From: Adam Maloney [mailto:adamm at sihope.com]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 9:04 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: RE: [TCLUG:20646] Root login + Free hosting

My point was that if you call US-West and order a 256k pipe, you'll train
at whatever speed you can, 512, 768 or whatever.  So why pay extra for a
512k line that you'd get anyways.

Regardless, more bandwidth does not mean everything is faster.  Most of
the things I do online don't and can't eat up more than 256k.  The speed
that people look for is latency, not pipe size.  Q3 is great at 256k.
It's only better on ethernet because there's hardly any latency compared
to the 30-40ms we see on DSL.  Besides that, most anything you download is
going to be bottlenecked either at the backbone or at the other end.  Most
ISP's have a single T-1 to the internet.

The only reason I could see more than 256k is if you're planning on
transferring large amounts of data from more than 1 place simultaneously.
Most things you download won't be able to peg a 256k DSL line (or the ISP
on the other end or backbone won't support it).  If you did something
where you had, say, a 256k stream to one ISP and a 256k stream to another
ISP and needed to have them going simultaneously (2 downloads, a download
and a streaming video/audio clip...)

But if you can afford it, or if you can justify it more bandwidth
certainly doesn't hurt.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications