Dave Sherohman wrote:

> Perry Hoekstra said:
> > Question:  how do you break the startup cycle?  My laptop boots into the
> > login screen (Debian).  However, I have lost my mouse again.  The
> > keyboard works but all I can do is login into the login screen (shows
> > the title Debian GNU/Linux) and I have the Debian splash screen.  I
> > can't get to a shell in order to fix the XF86Config file.
>
> Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a text console from the xdm login screen.  (Or from
> anywhere else in X.)

Thank you.

I seem to have somehow horked up my mouse.  If I used /dev/psaux in
XF86Config, the mouse pointer just sits there, no movement.  If I use
/dev/mouse, then the mouse flies around almost at random.

I did a ps-ef and saw /usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rms3

So I know the mouse interface manager is up.  How would I know if I have
started a process that is interfering with gpm?

--
Perry Hoekstra
E-Commerce Architect
dutchman at mn.uswest.net