This is one of the solutions we've used, but only after dealing with a
little "default" problem.  After creating the group, and adding users to
the group, and chmod g+s'ing the dirs and files, there remains one BIG
problem with the default install.  Files that are present can be modified
and deleted by anyone in the group, that is what you want, but any new
files uploaded (via FTP) and new files created (with vi for example) will
still have the default umask of 022 (rw-r--r--) and you need to update the
ftpaccess and login profiles to reset that to 002 (rw-rw-r--).

Mark

> Edit /etc/groups to create a new group called something like webdev.  (You
> should probably check your distro's policy guidelines first so that you don't
> assign it a GID that the distro will later attempt to use.)  Add all of these
> developers to the group.  i.e.,
> webdev:x:666:tom,dick,harry
>
> Change the group ownership of the directory structure:
> chgrp -R webdev /top/web/development/directory
>
> Make the directories and all files in them group-writable:
> chmod -R g+w /top/web/development/directory
>
> Make all directories in the structure sgid so that new files will get the
> correct group ownership automatically:
> chmod g+s each/directory
>
> If any of the developers are logged in while you do this, they'll have to log
> out and back in for the new group membership to take effect.

ReadyNET Go!, Inc.  -  Building your Business on the net

Mark J. Kroska
MIS Director

320.656.0765 Voice
888.447.3239 Toll Free