mjn said:
> So does anyone have a non-sarcastic suggestion to my user administration
> query?

Um...  My earlier suggestion wasn't sarcastic.  Your question was, "I just
discovered that one of my users has the root password.  What do I do?"  The
correct answer is (usually) "Change it and prevent him from getting the new
one."

> I have a few users who need access to some virt web server directories for
> dev purposes.  I would like to give them all access without forcing them
> to pickup some new commands and would also like to eliminate their
> "need" for root access which the last admin granted them...
>
> How is this sort thing typically done?  Just through different gids? or
> what?

Edit /etc/groups to create a new group called something like webdev.  (You
should probably check your distro's policy guidelines first so that you don't
assign it a GID that the distro will later attempt to use.)  Add all of these
developers to the group.  i.e.,
webdev:x:666:tom,dick,harry

Change the group ownership of the directory structure:
chgrp -R webdev /top/web/development/directory

Make the directories and all files in them group-writable:
chmod -R g+w /top/web/development/directory

Make all directories in the structure sgid so that new files will get the
correct group ownership automatically:
chmod g+s each/directory

If any of the developers are logged in while you do this, they'll have to log
out and back in for the new group membership to take effect.

- OR -

Set up CVS.  Give one person ownership of the web directories.  All
developers check out copies of the web directories from CVS, which they may
then edit freely and commit changes to the CVS repository.  On a regular
basis, the user who owns the web directories reviews all changes and,
assuming they are good, updates the files in the published directories from
CVS.

The first version is a little easier to set up, doesn't require your
developers to learn anything new, and will normally require less ongoing
maintenance.  The second version is more controlled and less likely to be
reduced to a chaotic mess by an irresponsible developer.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+