Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2847] The r.g.n ejection debate

David Swasey <swasey@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I like Tom's suggestion of labelling the servers beginner and advanced.

We simply don't have enough players to have different level servers.
People will play where there is a game and they have good lag (as
James said).  Until we have a lot more players than we do now, eject
should be disabled and the clue check removed, *escpecially* if we are
trying to push for an influx of new players.

I DO like the suggestion of having a raw beginner server, one that
maintains T with robots.  I promised to implement this a while ago.
I'll work on it this weekend.

But as I've said in the newsgroup, players graduating from the newbie
server will not be good enough for an "advanced" server, and we simply
can't afford to eject them.

> PS, Sheldon: If I remember correctly, you promised to change Netrek 2000
> (or whatever its called) to automatically answer the eject questions.
> IMO, this is misguided.  A more difficult but arguably better thing to
> spend your time on is good documentation for newbies.

I think eject is misguided, but I also agree that Sheldon going out on
his own to battle eject is misguided as well.  Newbie documentation is
worthwhile, but don't expect it to remove twinkiness from pickup.

-Jeff