Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2715] GIFs

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 08:07:11AM -0600, sheldon wrote:
> Unfortunately png is not well supported by most browsers.

I believe PNG is supported by IE and Netscape, but the format is not as
universal.

>  I would think that jpeg would be a better choice than png.  Although I
> realize that jpeg works better for pictures than it does for graphics due to
> it's lossy compression nature.

JPEGs with equal quality as the GIFs turn out to be larger in size, at least
for the images that I use in www.netrek.org.

Anyway, I'm reading the LZW license announcement from Unisys
http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html
and I'm certain that the GIFs I have created are already covered under a
valid license, as I used Adobe Photoshop and SGI ImageWorks (which licensed
LZW from Unisys) to create the GIFs.  Anyone using images from www.netrek.org
is also covered.  However, GIFs from off-site locations may not be.  If Unisys
comes knocking on my door, I'll switch to JPEG or PNG, but I probably won't
redo all the existing images I have at this time.

Dave
--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2