Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2603] base etempbug...

> Well I tried, and for the life of me, I can't hit the race condition
> deliberately.

But if there's no semaphore locking, then the possibility is non-zero,
correct?  Therefore, if we want to make robust code, semaphore locking
should be added out of general principle.  Granted, it may slow things
down a little, but it's not like people are running servers on Sun3's or
386's...

Either way, adding it would be a win, I think.

Bob Campbell                    Unix System Administrator
Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research
rsc@ucar.edu                    (303) 497-1815