[VANILLA-L:1090] Re: [VANILLA-L:1089] Re: Problem with 2.8pl0

James Cameron <cameron@stl.dec.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:
> > James, could you change system.mk.in to not put in -O by default, and
> > to put in -g by default?
>
> Um, really?  Sure, I can do it, but is this right?  If the problem is
> with an external package (gcc) and we are working around it, surely it
> should be -O0 rather than -g?

By default optimization is turned off if you don't supply the -O flag,
isn't it?  That's why I said to remove the -O.  I think the problem is
with Solaris and this particular installation of gcc, and not the
code.  However, there are other problems in the code that probably
show up more with optimization, as has been discussed on this list.
Actually, a little comment in system.mk.in warning against
optimization would be nice.

The -g is a separate issue.  A default of having the debugging symbols
makes sense to me, since disk space is hardly a problem and the added
benefit of being able to track down problems is worth it.  Whoever is
installing it can change that if they like, by I think the default
should be -g.

-Jeff
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++