[VANILLA-L:1087] Re: [VANILLA-L:1086] Problem with 2.8pl0

Steve Franks <sdfranks@mit.edu> wrote:

> I recently got one of my boxes "upgraded" to Solaris 2.6.  Now there's
> a pretty major bug in the server.  Any time a player is killed, his
> slot seems to be freed.  There is no core dump, nothing in the log
> files.  The player just disappears.

Mikael reported this problem in vanilla-l:862.  He downgraded from gcc
2.8.1 to 2.7.x to get it working.

I compiled Server 2.8pl0 on a Solaris 2.6 box using gcc 2.8.1, and
yup, had the same problem.  The ntserv process left a core file, and
the problem was at the same place Mikael reported it:

#0  0x1bb08 in main (argc=1, argv=0xefffecb8) at main.c:266

I recompiled without optimizations and that fixed the problem.

So there's probably some problem with setjmp/longjmp and
optimizations.  Yet another reason to turn off optimization when
compiling.

James, could you change system.mk.in to not put in -O by default, and
to put in -g by default?  Seems silly to submit a patch just for that.

-Jeff
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++

Follow-Ups: References: