[VANILLA-L:1047] Re: Client to Metaserver Recoding

F Niessink wrote:
> How exactly are you going to merge the lists? I'm asking
> because the packet format you propose below doesn't include
> any timing aspect (age of information). Different metaservers
> could give different player numbers: you have no way to decide
> which one is the most up to date.

You are quite correct.  I have actually written the merge code, and yes,
it needed age of data.  So the metaserver code change changed.

> In addition, I regularly use telnet to connect to the
> metaserver and I suspect many (unix-)people do this too, so
> that's another reason to keep the old TCP protocol.

Oh yes, I agree, but after we have the UDP protocol stable for a few
months, I'll propose a ten second delay or something in the TCP side in
order to encourage use of the faster protocol.  ;-)

I may issue the metaserver patch in the next 20 minutes, if I don't get
an interrupt.

--
James Cameron                              (james.cameron@digital.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800