[VANILLA-L:1039] Re: [VANILLA-L:1034] Server resources

> Anyone have any "hard" numbers on what a netrek server consumes for
> computer and network resources?

 Any computer you can buy new off the shelf today will suffice. :)

> Also advise on what is most important computer resource? CPU, Memory,
> NIC card?

 Something faster than a 16 Mhz R3000, more memory than 16 Megs, and a NIC card faster than ARCnet. :)

> I ask because I have the opportunity to purchase a 300MHz 21164 Alpha
> machine for $1000 US. Running Alpha linux I think this would be a
> great netrek server. :-)

 I had an Alpha machine on my desk back in 1995, a DEC 3000L/300, which I think used that same CPU?  It was quite speedy, more than enough for a Netrek server.

 Netrek was pretty much designed in the olden days.  Tbird ran on a DEC2100, I think doorstop used a DEC3100 for a while and then later a DEC5000/200.  Bigbang was on a DEC5000/240, was it not?  All of these are probably at least 4 times slower than the Alpha.

 Alpha's do require more RAM, probably because the instruction size is larger.  I'd probably say a minimum of 64 Megs would work if that was the only thing running.

 Oh, and instead of Linux, why not OpenBSD?

Steve

+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++