[VANILLA-L:927] Re: [VANILLA-L:917] .metservers file crashed server

Bob Tanner wrote:
> After adding the .metaservers files continuum crashes every couple of
> minutes. I'll look through the core file and see what I can see.
> 2.6pl8

Known problem.  Fix is in 2.8pl0.  Patch was issued to list; you will
find it in the archive.  Attached.  Buffer overrun in udp_tx().  Only
seen when number of players exceeds 14 or so.

> Solicit code cores at the udp_tx() call. I am not sure why OR how.
> Since I cannot reach any metaserver how does the code even get to the
> udp_tx() call?

You fail to understand the new solicitation code ... it does not matter
at all whether the metaserver is up, the solicitation packet is sent
anyway.  There is only one packet sent, unlike a TCP connection which
requires three just to establish the connection.

*** solicit.c.orig      Thu Mar 26 15:03:48 EST 1998
--- solicit.c   Thu Mar 26 15:04:35 EST 1998
***************
*** 9,15 ****
  #include "data.h"

  /* bytes to reserve for outgoing packet to metaserver */
! #define MAXMETABYTES 1024

  /* maximum number of metaservers supported */
  #define MAXMETASERVERS 3
  #include "data.h"

  /* bytes to reserve for outgoing packet to metaserver */
! #define MAXMETABYTES 2048

--
James Cameron                              (james.cameron@digital.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800