[VANILLA-L:689] Re: [VANILLA-L:688] Patches for make patches

Bob Tanner wrote:
> The ! -L means not symlink? When I read GNU make's info pages it says
> it exec this stuff under sh, my sh does not have -L option.

Yes, "! -L" means not symbolic link.  My sh works fine with it, though
the man pages don't mention -L or -f.  My csh man pages do.  My make is
documented as using sh.

> I do not know how this patch will effect other make, but I removed the
> ! -L check in make patches and this work fine.

It is important for the "! -L" to be there, it prevents duplicate diff
output.  The output is usable without it, but lengthens the effort
required at my end.

Unless someone can figure out a way to make that part of the Makefile
system specific, or some way to identify a symbolic link in another way
or use csh instead, ... I don't think I should apply this patch.

I've no statistics on how many Solaris servers there are.  ;-)

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800