Vanilla Clients Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-CLIENTS:90] netrek

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 04:38:50PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:

> You cannot play netrek from behind a proxy server or firewall, unless you are
> running proxy that understands netrek packets. The proxy software is called
> trekopd, but I believe it only works on a unix box.

You cannot play behind a service level proxy (e.g. SOCKS).  However, you
can play from behind a packet level proxy or firewall which allows incoming
packets through outgoing connections initiated from the inside.  NATS is a
good example of a packet level proxy, but it is not a firewall (though it
is most often used in conjunction with one).

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2