TCLUG Archive

2.2.1 mixer problem

Hey everyone,

I've got 2.2.1 running on my machine at home. The compile went very
smoothly, and the new kernel seems very nice.

Incidentally, I have to admit that since I've been running Linux (March
1998), I've felt quite inadequate. You see, it seems like all of the Linux
experts I know have been using Linux since somewhere around kernel 0.0.1.
My first kernel was 2.0.32. It's kind of like going to a Star Trek
convention having only seen ST:Voyager episodes. Now that I'm we're into
the 2.2.x series, I can only hope that newbies will feel a little
inadequate around me. :-)

Anyway, since running the 2.2.x kernel, I can't get any of my mixer-type
dockapps to run. My little CD players work, but I can't control the
volume. When I run asmixer, for example, I get:

[wilson@localhost asmixer-0.5]$ ./asmixer -w
asmixer:unable to grab /dev/mixer
asmixer:unable to grab /dev/mixer
asmixer:unable to grab /dev/mixer

I've looked again in the kernel configuration options, but I haven't found
anything that refers to the sound card mixer stuff. Does anyone have a
clud about this? Incidentally, I rebooted to my old 2.0.36 kernel, and it
worked fine. So I know it's a 2.2.1 problem.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your