TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3624] A new subscriber...

It's Illegal because the power requriments needed to send that fast from the ISP
to your modem is to great.  The FCC or something regulates that.  56 kpbs is what
the modem COULD handle, but it cant currently.  I believe that it is 52 kbps for
the max. download speed.  * 56K stuff is just a marketing con anyways.  I have a
56K modem, and I cant tell the difference between that and 33.6K.  If you want to
get that fast connection speed, you had better get a house next door to the phone
company!

Christopher Palmer wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Michael Hicks wrote:
>
> > 57600 kbps is the (illegal) maximum of these modems.
>
> 'Illegal' in what sense?

Alan Rinehart
Rinehart Computing
arinehar@pressenter.com