TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3635] Hub and IP question

>What it does is let you run a subnet behind a proxy; you can
>turn one IP into a gateway of sorts to a whole network. All of your
>machines will haec network access, via the proxy machine that gets your
>real IP address.
*..
>What you'll want to do is dedicate one machine entirely to Linux, have it
>run IP masquerading, and leave it up all the time. (If it goes down your
>other machines will lose their Internet access, although they'll still be
>able to talk to each other on the local subnet.)

Thanks for the advice.  I have some more questions, though.

1.  Does the proxy machine need two ethernet cards?  A Web site I found
(http://www.jrd.com/masquerading.html) makes it sound like the system that
handles the masquerading needs to have two cards, with the hub on one card
and the outside network on the other.  Is this the case?

2.  Will the speed of the proxy machine have a major impact on the speed of
the network?  Will it make a difference if I have a 486/33 vs. a 486/50 as
the "gateway"?  Or should I really have it all run through the Pentium 166
system?  My plan was to run one of the 486's only as the proxy, but how
will that compare to the P166 (which would not be a dedicated system)?

As always, I appreciate any help or wisdom yau can give me.

Thanks,
Larry

----L. Crisp-----------------cris0027@tc.umn.edu---
       May The Dark Side Be With You, Always