TCLUG Archive

Hub and IP question

I have four computers that I will be putting ethernet into and linking with
a hub.  I will also be running the uplink to the University ethernet jack
in my room.  The whole idea is to let each system have access to the
others.  Only one of them will need to have access to the U network, but I
don't want to have to unplug and reroute cables everytime I use it.  Can
anyone tell me how I can do this without possibly conflicting with other
peoples IP addresses?  (The U *frowns* upon anyone using an IP address NTS
did not *graciously* sell them)  Would this call for IP masquerading?  What
the heck is IP masquerading?

The system that will need access to the U network is a former PB (groan)
running Win95 (big groan) and Redhat 5.0 (Woohoo!).  The other three
systems are Dell 486's that will be running RH5.1 and one of them will
likely have a dual boot with PC-DOS 6.3 on it.  If possible, I'd like to be
able to access the other systems from PC-DOS as well.

I'm new to Linux, so any thoughts and/or assistance would be appeciated.
The more you can tell me, the better.

Thanks,
    Larry

----L. Crisp-----------------cris0027@tc.umn.edu---