TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:3621] Logfile?

Well, the obvious answer would be:

echo "$TEXT" >> /var/log/messages

The ">>" means "append", as opposed to ">", which overwrites the old file.

Of course, the script would have to run with root permissions, and you'd
have to make sure that $TEXT included the date & time.

Maybe there's a tool that does this automatically, though.