TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3548] xdm

Hello all:

Shawn T. Amundson <amundson@gimp.org> wrote:

>> One (frustrating!) problem I ran in to was that some of the ~/.x*rc
>> files need to have their execute bits set to run properly, unlike
>> ~/.cshrc and the like.
>
> That should only be the case if you are using non-/bin/sh shell
> syntax in your ~/.x*rc.  Without the execute bit, it should be executed
> with /bin/sh.  With the execute bit, it should be executed according
> to the #!<shell> at the top of the file.

I guess I don't follow you.  Without the execute bit set, how
will it execute at all, /bin/sh or anything?

[trammell@nitz ~]$ cat >foo
#!/bin/sh

echo "Hello World"
^D
[trammell@nitz ~]$ ls -l foo
-rw-r--r--   1 trammell users          30 Jan 21 07:22 foo
[trammell@nitz ~]$ ./foo
./foo: Permission denied.
[trammell@nitz ~]$ chmod 755 foo
[trammell@nitz ~]$ ./foo