TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3467] GIMP and arbitrary/raw files

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 10:30:24PM -0600, Christopher Palmer wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Yaron wrote:
>
> > Well, I just tried adding a GIF header to a copy of /proc/kcore.
>
> That never works, because GIMP (and most programs actually) aren't fooled
> by that, for some reason. I guess they can tell the difference. :^) (I
> tried it once before.)

GIF is a compressed format so that's not really a good format to choose
for this.

> And do you happen to know the license in XV? Iirc, it's not free...I'm a
> bit of a purist. ;^)

You can't legally write GIF files with a free software program if you are a
purist, so watch out for that one.  It breaks a patent and is thus illegal.
;-)

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking