TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3467] GIMP and arbitrary/raw files

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Yaron wrote:

> Well, I just tried adding a GIF header to a copy of /proc/kcore.

That never works, because GIMP (and most programs actually) aren't fooled
by that, for some reason. I guess they can tell the difference. :^) (I
tried it once before.)

> Actually I did that a whole ago - loading it into gimp totally killed my
> computer. Apparently loading an image the size of your RAM, which has
> illegal characters in it, is not a good idea...

Yeah, I had a feeling that might happen, so what I did first was to make a
copy of /proc/kcore, and then run bzip2 on it (you wouldn't believe how
long it takes to bzip a 67MB file...and I consider my computer pretty
fast!).

> Anyway, if you MUST do it, I'd try forcing a RAW image format ting on top
> of your file, and load it in XV which supports that.

By 'ting' do you mean what I call a 'bang', i.e., '!' ? Is that all it
takes to be 'raw'?

And do you happen to know the license in XV? Iirc, it's not free...I'm a
bit of a purist. ;^)

Thanks for your help! :^)

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/