TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3467] GIMP and arbitrary/raw files

  Hi,

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Christopher Palmer wrote:

> I want to load /proc/kcore into the GIMP (reason: for the fun of it), or
> actually a bzipped copy of it. Is there any way to have the GIMP treat any
> arbitrary file as an image? I used to do this in Photoshop on the Mac and
> I wanted to see if it was possible -- and what Linux *looks* like :^)

Well, I just tried adding a GIF header to a copy of /proc/kcore. Actually
I did that a whole ago - loading it into gimp totally killed my computer.
Apparently loading an image the size of your RAM, which has illegal
characters in it, is not a good idea...

Anyway, if you MUST do it, I'd try forcing a RAW image format ting on top
of your file, and load it in XV which supports that.

-Yaron