TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:3372] UI (was: Windows NT pricing)

	[Schlough, Mark]
	There is a compression tool that gets up to 10 times the
compression on the X protocol and normally gets about 4 times that
under normal use.  This was mentioned in LJ a few months ago.
> m e m o r y   h o g
>
> n o n - e x i s t e n t   U I   c o n s i s t e n c y

	[Schlough, Mark]
	Are you talking about the X server, the window manager.... what
part?

> s h i t t y   f o n t   r e n d e r i n g
	[Schlough, Mark]
	again, is this X or something else?

	[Schlough, Mark]

> Yes, it's all we have right now, but I come from Macintosh Land, and I
> hate seeing the worse software win (Mac OS (the non-UI parts),
> Windows, X
> Windows). Unix proper is so good -- what went wrong with X?
>
> > the others really are not a alternative until they have all of the
> > applications.
>
> Again, though, X is lacking in applications,
	[Schlough, Mark]

	Technically, X Windows _is_ an application.  That's all.  It is
a server/client application.  That's it.
	Well, it does have remote displays, multiple desktops, multiple
sessions...

	It was state of the art when it came out, but it's gotten moldy
after all these years.