TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3372] UI (was: Windows NT pricing)

> Well, you run development kernels, right? :) I've only killed my kernel
> twice, and once when I was *trying* to. :)

Actually, I haven't really had many problems recently.  I had ssh (not
sshd, FYI) running for a while to encrypt my POP-3 sessions, and I think
that was causing problems (I'd come back, and my display wouldn't come
out of sleep mode..  Couldn't ping or anything..).  Before that, I had
incompatibilities with my motherboard and a floppy-based tape drive.  I
also had to replace my old Ethernet card (go from ISA NE2000 clone to
PCI 3c905), because network collisions were causing trouble (that's my
guess, at least).  Also, DOSEmu gave me a kernel oops once, I think..
Most of this has happened in stable kernels (except maybe the ssh
episode..)

So, they've mostly been hardware problems of some sort, but I've
definitely had more luck with X than with my kernel :-P

> Again, programs talk to the display server and/or graphics libraries as
> well as the toolkit, so in every case you'd need more than just a
> recompile.

Well, it probably depends on the program.  You'd only be forced to
change the code of the program if it directly interfaces some X
function.  AFAIK, most don't (at least the newer programs..)  But, hey,
I don't know much ;-)

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.0-pre6