TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3372] UI (was: Windows NT pricing) (fwd)

I am not attacking Christopher, but rather disagree with the thought
that it is 'shit'.  It was a very good thing in its time...   The
language used just indicated to me, that the author did not have
a clue.. (that is the description I normally hear from junior high
PC users).  I am happy to hear you know some of the valid reason
improvements are needed.  As are standards and applications.

For X11 between 'too many cooks in the kitchen' and time it did become
a mess.

My point was not that it was great.. It is just usable and their are
MANY useful applications on X.  X is mostly used as a standard for
cross platforms, and is ancient...  We also have:
	GL/OpenGL/Motif/etc.
All of which work with a Xserver.

The point is, we just need to a New Standard, and get applications
ported.. Once this is available, then

I totally aggree that:
	- X is a memory hog
	- No one Follows any of the _previously_ defined interface
 	    standards. So yes it is inconsistent.  Also known as
	    having FLexibility.
	- Fonts are a issue. but minor for 90% of the people.
	- Display over the network performance is terrible, however
          it is also posible to do..

Yes, I originally came from Mac-land, and I have always liked Macs
(except stability, compute performance, lack of command lines, etc..).

I am not sure what applications you need, I am not much of a Mac/PC user
in the last 10 years since they don't have the compute power or applications
I need.  Most Science applications or real compute is on Unix/X/OpenGL/Motif.
The API NEEDS to have some thought put into flexibility and functionality.

	- High level API for 90% of the coders
	- Low level for those who need performance and working with
          features the High level API folks don't understand..
          (supercomputing level real time graphics even in X11 we
           have been doing this).
	- Ability to display across networks (faster!)

But it is definetly not 'shit' as claimed.  Rather it is archeic.

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Silicon Graphics, Inc.  |   |                      |       \      |