From: lcgreenwald <lcgreenwald@twistedpair.net>
To: tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com <tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com>
Date: Thursday, January 14, 1999 4:01 PM
Subject: RE: [TCLUG:3331] Windows NT pricing

I consider myself to be a competent and dedicated MS system administrator
(and fortunately so does my boss).  I am the entire Information Systems
department here.  I have 5 Windows NT4.0 servers running both file and
print
services as well as mail, IIS, SQL, FAX and an RF barcode reader system.
also have an SCO UNIX server and a Netware 3.12 server.  I have about 40
users running NT4.0 Workstation and Windows 95.  This is connected via a
WAN
to our parent company.  At home I run a network of Windows 95 and Linux on
Intel and Sparc hardware.  I spend 40-45 hours a week at work.  My Windows
NT 4.0 file servers typically run for several months without needing a
reboot.  If you set Windows NT up properly and don't twiddle it will work
fine.  Is it perfect? BY NO MEANS!   I have had several battles with NT.
have also had a battle or two with Linux.  Neither one is perfect.  Each
has
its advantages and disadvantages.  I for one am glad that both exist.

Larry Greenwald