TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:3331] Windows NT pricing

Serge M. Egelman [SMTP:serge@egel2.med.umn.edu] wrote:
> My guess is about $200 (Win98 full version) for each of the Win9x boxes
and
> probably another $500 for NT Server.  So that would be $6500 for 30
machines.
> Not only did you save all that money, but they work better (or work
period for
> that matter).
>
> serge

I think that's a bit low for NT (it's been a while since I looked), but to
include functions for web, ftp, database, and email (that's not Microsoft
Mail, but Exchange), I think you need the BackOffice package (or SBS with
more licenses).  You need IIS, proxy server (I think), SQL Server, and
Exchange.  I think that runs another couple grand for the full set plus any
additional user licenses that you need to purchase.  I'd guess more like
$10-$12,000 for 30 machines (but I'm not an MCSE or CSR or whatever else,
so don't take it as gospel).  Plus, you'll likely want to get some good
backup software which is usually another $500 or so.  Add in the support
 costs for the unreliable performance, and constant tuning, too.  Add in
organizational downtimes costs (it adds up fast with 30 users) when the
server crashes during the day.

    - Dave Kleist
	dkleist@acm.org