TCLUG Archive

boot.img on floppy Help Please

I am having trouble building a boot floopy with the "boot.img" and
"supp.img" files I've gotten from the Redhat errata at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh52-errata-general.html

I've tried to "cp" the images to floppy which results in nonsystem disk
error. I then tried to the following "dd" commands which resulted in
"boot failed" messages while initrc is loading.
dd if=/home/rtp/bootdisk/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 sb=8192
dd if=/home/rtp/bootdisk/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 sb=1440        <--I think
that's the number HELP

I've downloaded the images twice so it's not a corrupt download. I'll
try another set of floppies; however, I don't think they're the problem.

I suspect the problem is I don't know what command to use when building
the disk.  Or, I don't know how to use the command and there aren't any
directions in the errata.

It could be that I've forgotten to comb my hair this morning, in which
case I should get rid of the mirror that reminded me.

thanks much

ron parker