TCLUG Archive

Encryption

> Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a good explanation we can hand law
> enforcement officials about why we believe encryption should not be
> controlled?  I mean, they really don't like to hear stuff about preventing
> police states and such, so how the heck are we going to manage to keep it
> legal otherwise without sounding pro-terrorist?

Give them what they want to here. It's good for the economy. One of the
great uses of encryption is to allow the safe transfer of credit
card number, etc, which is crucial to internet commerce. (Please
correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is my understanding) It isn't that
hard for two people to use massive encryption to talk to eachother so no
one else can hear them, the problem is using a standard so many people can
communicate with eachother and use the same encryption standard for ease.
Hence, most of the encryption the gov is interviening in doesn't affect
terrorists, but really secure transation, etc.

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397