TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:2878] diald vs ppp 2.3.5

> From: Ben Luey [mailto:lueyb@carleton.edu]
>
> The new version of ppp (2.3.5) does dial on demand. Are there any
> advantages / disadvantages of ppp for dial on demand over diald? I have
> both setup, so ocnfiguration isn't an issue.

pppd 2.3.5 *does* do dial-on-demand, however, you must have an advanced
kernel to use it.  (I think it's kernel 2.1.100 -- or something close
thereof.)  But why go with the kernel version 2.1.100 if you can go with the
newest one, 2.1.131 (I think -- maybe it's 132, now).  At kernel version
2.1.120, the Linux development team dropped the current firewalling scheme
in favor of a new one.  Thus, a conversion from using the tool ipfwadm to
using ipchains is necessary if you want to retain your IP-Masquerading.  I
don't think it's a heafty change, just lots of coding.  You'd probably end
up changing a few boot scripts.  I know that in Debian the anti-spoofing is
all scripted using the ipfwadm command.  Not difficult, just time consuming.

Of course, the advantage of using diald over pppd's dial-on-demand is the
time you save on reconfiguring the security on your box.  If you're willing
to get your hands dirty, then pppd alone will save you a little diskspace
and one less package to track.

Chewie