TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2631] Samba setup

Please see reponses to other messages that follow:

This is the message that hangs when issue the following command:

smbclient -L myserver
Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0

Now! I understand the ip message and to a degree the bcase message, but I
don't understand the nmask message. My netmask is set as 255.255.255.0 in my
network setup. This is confusing! anyway, back to the MAN pages and HOW-TO's
for now. Interested in hearing your input.

>Quoting Richard Seymour (rseymour@anarchysoftware.com):
>> What is in your /etc/hosts file? And on your Windows box, do you have
>> c:\windows\hosts and c:\windows\lmhosts files? What's in them?

etc/hosts contains...

127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost.localdomain
90.0.0.1     myserver
90.0.0.2     myclient

It is questionable how I have my IP adresses. After reading some of the
HOW-TO's I am contemplating swithing to a 192.168.x.x scheme. any thoughts?

My hosts and lmhosts files were non-existent on the client.

>Do you run DNS?
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Paul & Paule Hocker wrote:
>> > server. It seems like I have things setup correctly. However, whenever
I do:

do you mean on the server or the client? in either case no and no! But I
would like to on the server soon.