TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2679] PC error message

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Luke Francl wrote:

> 8.1. Why do I get NO ROM BASIC,
> SYSTEM HALTED?
>
> This should get a prize for the PC compatible's
> most obscure error message. It usually means
> you haven't made the primary partition
> bootable ...

Well, it turns out that this was the problem. Once I ran fdisk and made a
partition bootable, all was well. That is a very obscure error message!

On a related note, dos fdisk was unable to delete the partition that used
to be a Linux swap partition. I don't really need that space so in the
interest of time, I'm just giving up that 64M and going with what's left.
Next time, however, what do you do to recover that partition for use with
Windows?

BTW, I'm installing Windows on this machine so it can run VNC server and
allow me to connect to it and run my electronic gradebook program remotely
so I don't have to reboot my Linux box. It should be slick.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your