TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2631] Samba setup

My experience is that you don't need to setup lmhosts. When I try to
connect on the linux box to a WIN95 samba share, it looks up the name
(i.e. -L name or //name) in /etc/lmhosts, gets an error because the file
doesn't exist and then tries DNS. Since I have everyone's windows name the
same as their DNS name, this works fine.

Good Luck,

Ben

P.S. I tried to get the win95 clients use user level sharing with a
user/password list via my linux samba box, but the win95 always complained
that the list was temporarily unavailable. Any ideas? (tried on saba linux
with both security = user and share)