TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2503] Redhat 5.2 upgrade

Making a RedHat install work on a homebrew CD is a complex process.
Basically, you'd need the following directory structure:
/RedHat/
	RPMS/	  -> all packages go here.
	base/ 	  -> you need several insall binaries and archives here
		     you can download them from any ftp mirror.
	instimage/-> several install environments also available via
		     ftp.
	images/	  -> optional, put boot, supp and rescue .img files here.

You'll need the genhdlist binary (also available via ftp) to recreate the
hdlist for the installer to operate, especially if you intend to replace
old packages with fixed errata packages.  The syntax is like this:
`genhdlist /dir` where "/dir/" is where the RedHat stuff above lives.

Next, using mkisofs to create the bootable image:
`mkisofs -o /var/tmp/Reinstall-090898.iso -b RedHat/images/boot.img -c
RedHat/images/boot.catalog -r -l -L -D -T .`

This is a single command and should be run from the directory tree you
wish to have written to iso9660 format. This will create a cd with
RockRidge extentions and should duplicate a RedHat install CD you would
normally buy.  If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask me
directly.

Peter Lukas
Math Systems Office
University of Minnesota