TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2438] Somethings ... STATUS REPORT

BTW, I am leaning towards a misconfigured system as the theory of what
went wrong on my system now.

I few days ago I signed up for the PHP mailing list. It has fairly heavy
traffic.

I did stop getting mail from them yesterday at some point. It could have
been before or after the problem began to manifest.

Looking at security sites today, I did a search on the word "bourbon", the
host name of the machine that was causing my problems. It showed up in the
signature of a PHP programmer on the list. I am currently of the belief
that it is the same machine that manages the mailing list.

I'm guessing something changed between their system and mine, mail got
backed up, and kept retrying, keeping my system connected.

Sound reasonable?

(I'm not claiming that my system is not part of the problem. I'm sure when
I look back at how it's configured -- say a year of two from now, when I
know a lot more about Linux -- that I'll wonder what on earth I was
thinking. ;-)

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.