TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:2408] MySQL install woes

It would be better to use the --nodeps option when installing packages in
situations where you either a) know the required packages exist, or b)
they don't exist and you don't care.  In any event, either you'll also
need to update the egcs-g77, egcs-c++, etc package to stay current.  The
--nodeps options skips dependency checking.  In this case, it's likely
that the egcs package you wish to upgrade has those other packages in the
"requires" field.  More can be learned by the rpm man page and the
excellent book, Maximum RPM.  --force should only be used when you are
installing a package on top of another and those cases where you're in
dire need.  It's pretty useless without combining it with the --nodeps
flag.

Peter Lukas
Math Systems Office
University of Minnesota