TCLUG Archive

[TCLUG:2287] RedHat 5.2 CDs arrived

    Mark> Also... (me not knowing PCs..sigh..) what is the difference
    Mark> between a AT and ATX computer/case?  (which is 'better').

    Mark> My guess is that AT is a subset of ATX?

AT, also referred to as baby AT (or BAT), and ATX are quite
different. AT is an older motherboard standard where ATX is newer,
that is to say, ATX is supposed to be the replacement for the AT
motherboard. The ATX board and its corresponding case are designed so
that all peripheral attachments are connected via a single back
pane. So instead of plugging in several ribbon cables for your
serial, parallel ports and hunting around for the place where the
power supply attaches, things are supposed to be much better
organized. The ATX board is also linked to its power supply--which
allows the mother board to do such things as turn off your computer
(or at least put it to sleep.) The trade off of this is that you have
to ensure that your mb and case (actually the power supply within that
case) have the same revision #--so that they can talk to each other...

If there are other differences I'm not sure what they may be.

Andrew