TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2214] Meetings/group purchases?

> > Meetings:
> >   1. Tony: (Ron said that Monday and Thursday would _not+ work)
> >            so it sounds like it may still work for you.
> >   2. I also have a house, (north) East Bethel, that would be available.
>
> I'd be interested in a house-meeting, too.  I'm in Blaine, though, so I'd
> obviously prefer the northern suburbs.  (c:

Perhaps we can find a way to accomadate both, or car pool..

> >   Teaching projects:
> >      - Converting schools over to linux (from MicroSoft, as the 140,000
> >        machines in the Mexico school system).  (also my neighbor does the
> >        Fridley schools computing)..  (^8
>
> How is that going so far?  I'd be interested in helping out with this, too.

I am just getting started... (I have only lived here for about 2 months).
I just moved back to Minnesota a year ago, and finally got a house, so
I am just getting started again (after I gave away my PCs to friends)..oops..
(I have been pampered with a company machine at home.. a nice SGI).

So I will build myself a few machines (just to learn, I doubt I will
save much by building my own).  Then I am waiting for a local company
to get their 486s replaced, so I can get them for home.

To connect the 486s into a cluster, it should cost me most for the
ethernet cards.  Once I setup my workstation and setup a 'adult-proof'
account, I will have my neighbor over to demonstrate, and also show
him how easy it is to setup a machine..  They also have some 486s
so I may just ask him to bring one home with a CD-ROM and we can
set it up.  I know he will be impressed since he has been spending
a lot of time getting the machines and networks running.

I guess I will look around and order a machine tonight or this weekend
and work on building some on the side.. (just to get myself moving).

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Silicon Graphics, Inc.  |   |                      |       \      |