TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:2174] wierd netware printing

> Please post your /etc/printcap file so we can take a look at it. printtool
> may not have configured it properly to work with nprint.

I've traced /etc/printcap and here is what happens:

line in /etc/printcap for a printer

if=/var/spool/lpd/library/filter:

so when lpr gets a job it piped it to /var/spool/../filter

filter does some stuff I don't understand and I think this is where the
problem is, but it somehow alters the piped print stream. last line on the
filter pipes the new stream to ncpprint which is a script that runs nprint
with the server, queue username and password (which is readable to
everyone!) from the file /var/spool/lpd/library/.config. Because I was
able to have wordperfect print via lpr sucessfully, I don' think the
problem is with nprint but with the filters because wordperfect uses its
own filters.

I made a test printer that at the end of /var/spool/../filter instead of
running ncpprint, would run nprint -S server -q queue and it worked fine
from workperfect, but not from printtool's postscript test.

Since nprint works fine for postscript docs (I can pipe them straigh to
nprint), I'm going to try using printtool's generic postscript driver
instead of the hp 4/5/6. Maybe the netware converts the postscript to hp
format or maybe all the printers are postscript.

I'll try this, but if you have any more ideas, please e-mail me,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

Money is like manure--it only works if you spread it around.  -- Jim Hightower