TCLUG Archive

3com 3c905b

Has anyone here gotten 3com's 3c905b to work under linux. I'm trying to
help a friend install linux (rh 5.1 but rh 5.2 is coming in the mail
soon), but he has this card with redhat doesn't support it but claims some
people have gotten to work under linux. (the card shows up in /proc/pci
and the module for it loads, but when we try to connect to the network
via dhcp, which worked fine for me first try is says dhcp failed. I tried
it without dhcp and it said delaying eth0 initialization.) I found some
kernel drivers for it from:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

but when updated the file 3c59x.c in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net and tried
to run make modules it said modules weren't supported in this kernel,
which isn't true because /proc/modules shows the 3c59x module loading. I
recompiled the kernel with modules, but then I got errors on startup about
modules.dep although the file /lib/modules/preferred/modules.dep is there
and with the correct paths in the file.

Some said that turning off the computer and unplugging it made it work,
but my friend is dual-booting and this hardly seems practical.

Any ideas?

P.S. Are there any stores near Northfield accesible without a car that
carry $15-20 ne2000 nics?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

[My book titled] You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train means that the world
is already moving in certain directions. Things are already happening. Wars
are taking place. Children are going hungry. In a world like this--already
moving in certain, often terrible directions--to be neutral or to stand by
is to collaborate with what is happening. I didn't want to be a collaborator,
and I didn't want to invite my students to be collaborators.
         -- Howard Zinn