TCLUG Archive

Things I'd like to fix

Those of you who login to both NT boxen and Linux machines with xdm
probably know the problem of finger-confusion that results.  NT wants
a tab to go from the username field to the password field in the login
screen -- and if you accidentally hit return instead, it tries to log
you on to the domain with the null password.

On the other hand, xdm wants a return, although hitting a tab only has
the minor effect of putting a tab after your username.  We can't fix
NT, but we can fix the xdm login screen ... so even though by my
lights return is correct and tab is wrong, that's what I'd like to do.

I'd like to make it so that when you hit a tab in the username field
of the xdm login screen, it would pop up a window with an
informational or cute message (e.g. "Wake up, the NTmare is over") for
about a second, then put the cursor on the password field when it
disappears.  The actual message, and whether the popup occurs at all,
would be in the X resources where they could easily be changed.

The question I have is, where is the code?  I'm not sure what package
contains the xdm login screen and where I would get it from.  (If it's
done with Xaw and Xt, which it looks like, I think I could do the
code.)

The second thing I'd like to fix is the scrollbar in xterm.  When you
use the middle button to scroll back, you have to be really careful
not to slip off the scrollbar and into the main window, because if you
do, you start pasting whatever the last selection was into your xterm
window (better hope it isn't "rm *" !).  The solution to this problem
is simple -- mouse motion should be constrained to vertical while
you're scrolling!  (Duh!)

That fix is a little harder for me to figure out ... would it go in
the xterm code, or the scrollbar widget code?

--
| Forrest Cahoon      | forrest@pconline.com |------------------------------|
| 850 21st Ave SE     |----------------------| Only unbalanced people       |