TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2096] /dev/audio

> I was playing some mp3's with x11amp while testing enlightenment. I ending
> up going to fvwm and trying and failing to load windowmaker because of a
> bad windowmaker config file. I fix everything and closed x11amp. I just
> opneded x11amp and tried to play a mp3 and it says error opening
> /dev/audio. I get the same problem with real audio and /usr/sbin/sndconfig
> (rh5.1). I don't know what happened, but how can I clear the ?lock? on
> /dev/audio or whatever is wrong. I ran px aux but didn't see any sound
> related programs. audio cd's play fine, but then don't use /dev/audio.

Well, the most likely explanation would be that there still is some
program that's using /dev/audio..  You're certian x11amp isn't still
running?  It occasionally just doesn't want to die..

Other than that, it's possible that the window managers you were using
had an audio server of some kind..

I don't suppose anyone knows how to find what program is using a
particular file at any given time, is there?

--
                    --== Mike Hicks ==--
http://umn.edu/~hick0088	mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu