TCLUG Archive

Unresolved Symbols after kernel compile

Hello All,

After re-compiling my kernel and rebooting, I started getting messages about "unresoved symbols".

This happens when the system is trying to load the modules, and is doing the "depmod -a" command in one of the startup scripts.

After some poking around, I found I had to do "make modules" and "make modules_install" after re-compiling the kernel.

So, I started the whole process over again to make sure I got a clean run at it (??)...

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper          # from what I understand this cleans things up a bit...
make xconfig            # select stuff, etc...
make dep
make clean
make zlilo
make modules
make modules_install

and finally reboot the system...

I was still getting the "unresolved symbol" message.

Trying something I saw on the list a short while back, I ran "depmod -a 2.0.34" for the kernel version I'm running, but no go.

I feel as if I'm missing something very simple...

Hopefully I'm giving you all enough information to make some sense of it... 8D

Thanks!!!

Scott K. Johnson
sjohnson@bitstream.net