TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1986] dev kernel

Thanks for all the help Yao-Pin.  I think my modules want to load, but
they still don't seem to be able to...  Ok..  I inserted that code segment
you gave me into my rc.sysinit right after the segment,

# Get the modules ready to go -- we use awk here as cut is in /usr/bin
rm -f /lib/modules/preferred
if [ -n $USEMODULES ]; then
    set `cat /proc/cmdline`
    while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do
        if echo $1 | grep '^BOOT_IMAGE=' > /dev/null ; then
            image=`echo $1 | awk -F= '{ print $2 }'`
            kernelfile=`/sbin/lilo -I $image`
            if [ -n "$kernelfile" ]; then
                kernelname=`echo $kernelfile | awk -F- '{ print $1 }'`
                versioninfo=`echo $kernelfile | sed "s|${kernelname}-||"`
                if [ "$kernelname" = "/boot/vmlinuz" -a \
                     -d /lib/modules/$versioninfo -a \
                     $versioninfo != `uname -r` ]; then
                     ln -sf $versioninfo /lib/modules/preferred
                fi
            fi
        fi
        shift
    done
fi

And I'm not sure if that's where I should be putting it.  When I boot with
your code segment in there, my boot process stops right after it
initializes the random number generator and displays,

No module dependencies for /lib/modules/2.1.126/misc/unix.o

(basically) in an infinite loop.  Should I be putting your code segment
somewhere else in my rc.sysinit?  Perhaps at the end or the beginning?...
Or maybe I can edit the segment above to do what your does, but
unfortunately I don't know shell scripting.  Any further help from anyone
would be greatly appreciated.

Gabe