TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1906] Shell Script Question

Quoting Perry Hoekstra (dutchman@uswest.net):
> I have a problem with a installation shell script (from my previous
> posts, you can see I am easily confused).  Some background: I downloaded
> the Oracle 8.0.5 (production) tar from the net, untarred it using WinZip
> and burnt it onto a CD. This begs the question, why would you do this?
> My CD-R is at work, runs on NT and they have a big T-1 line to download
> a 147MB file.  In addition, a 147MB file extracts to 500MB and then
> install requires 1GB of free space which I just don't have at home on my
> Linux box.  Everything went fine and I have shiny CD of 8.0.5 prod.
> However, when I try to run the installation script, it states that it
> cannot find 'file or directory'.  I can bring this file up in vi, the
> first line is #!/bin/sh, and the rest is a normal shell script.  I
> copied the script over onto my home directory,  to see if it would run
> outside of the CD and print some echo statements that I had put in but
> there was no joy in Mudville.  Any ideas I can try?  The following are
> the first few statements from the script:

  Its hard to say what the problem is.  Did you get the tarball from
the Oracle technet website?  They have all the directions on how to install it.
Just a shot in the dark here, have you done all the prep work for the install?
Did you modify you IPCS parameters?  Created the Oracle account? Created the
dba group? Are you going to install the software using the OFA structure?
Have you greated mount points for the OFA?   Did you run the oratab.sh
before ./orainst?  Once you have all the prequistites setup the install takes
about 20-30 minutes.  I took me 20 minutes on a pII 300mhz 64meg ram, but
well worth the wait.

--
Joseph A. Heil, Jr.
email:               heilja@dbsource.com