TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1868] download from fastest site

<<    Ben> Does anyone know of a program that will search a site like
     Ben> ftpsearch for a list of servers containing a certain file,
     Ben> ping each server and then download from the fastest site?
     Ben> GoZilla does this under win95, but I'm not using windos
     Ben> anymore and miss this when downloading so40 at 51meg.

 I thought of writing this kind of a program in perl--it would connect
 to a site look for a mirrors file and ping them. Then it would make a
 little map of the sites and rank them. Of course if something like
 this has been done already (for unix that is...) there isn't much
 point in me redoing things.

 Andrew >>

I read in some paper some time ago that "ping" doesnot neccessarily provide
the right information to be able to decide on the "fastest" server.

After much searching I found the copy on my harddrive and here is the URL if
anybody is interested.
http://www.cs.bu.edu/faculty/crovella/paper-archive/hpcs95/paper.html

I have not found something like Go!zilla for linux, though I think some ftp
clients
provide a "reget" feature that allows you to continue interrupted downloads.
I am quite sure xmftp can continue a ftp from where it left off or broke off.
Doesn't Netscape let you do that too ?

If anybody is interested in having something similar for linux and would like
work on it I can help !

--
sandipan